My favorite face sunscreens (all under $40!)

In the age of Instagram and TikTok, it's hard to NOT be "skinfluenced". However, there's some truth to the mountain of products being shilled every day on social media: the necessity of sunscreen. 

Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer diagnosis, and even without that scary fact, prolonged exposure to the sun causes skin damage and premature aging (wrinkles and fine lines!)

If you're only going to apply one product as part of a skin care routine, sunscreen is the most impactful. I apply it on my face + neck as the last step of my morning skincare routine but before makeup. Here are some of my favorites & best facial sunscreens from personal experience: 


Naked Sundays - SPF50 CabanaCrème™ Hydrating Moisturizer

This sunscreen has been my go-to lately for wearing under my makeup. I haven't had any pilling or a white cast, and its semi-matte finish is great for my oily skin. I love this multi-tasker since along with sunscreen, it contains both hyaluronic acid and niacinamide, meaning I have one less step in the morning for skincare. It's great for travel since I don't have to cram multiple products into my quart-sized liquid allotment at airport security.

EltaMD - UV Clear Broad Spectrum SPF46 Facial Moisturizer

EltaMD's moisturizer with SPF has been hailed by many as one of the best on the market since it applies well and contains niacinamide. I used the tinted version and found it amplified my super oily skin as the day but I still used up the whole bottle (I didn't want to waste it, especially at the $31 I paid when it was on sale). At least the dewy look is in? It is available in both tinted and un-tinted versions. For the price, I wish there was more product, but it performed well in terms of sun protection and didn't look mismatched on my fair skin tone.

Biore UV - Aqua Rich Watery Essence (SPF50)

Performance wise, Biore's Aqua Rich sunscreen is a steal for the price at around $13 in the US. Full disclosure, you can get it for cheaper in Japan - I stock up on a year's supply (2-ish bottles) when I visit. It provides SPF50 protection while feeling weightless. I haven't found another sunscreen that absorbs as well or as quickly as this one. It works great after skincare serums/after makeup or alone (I put it on the back of my hands before driving to work). 

Brandefy - UV Broad Spectrum SPF50 Tinted Sunscreen

Brandefy makes affordable dupes for great skincare products, and they nailed it with this tinted sunscreen. They took all of the great qualities of the EltaMD sunscreen (like niacinamide and hyaluronic acid) and made a version that is priced $10 less but includes more product than the original (1.7oz vs 2.2oz)! I wear this on days where I'm staying/working from home and want a little something to even out my skin. I haven't noticed any differences from the EltaMD version (besides maybe a slightly less strong chemical-y smell).

DRMTLGY - Universal Tinted Moisturizer SPF46

Another fantastic dupe for the EltaMD SPF moisturizer is DRMTLGY's tinted moisturizer. Like the Brandefy version, it's priced $10 less but is the same size as the EltaMD one. It applies well and has sheer coverage. I have also used this when working from home or walking the dog. I love that it includes niacinamide, vitamin E, and hyaluronic acid. 

Naked Sundays - SPF50 CabanaClear™ Water Gel Serum

Another Naked Sundays winner here~ this came bundled with the CabanaCreme I mentioned earlier. This is also great for layering under makeup, and is a great multi-tasker since it has antioxidants and vitamins with SPF. It's a perfect alternative if you don't need a sunscreen with a matte finish. 

Last thoughts

Be sure to re-apply throughout the day (every 2 hours or sooner if you sweat/get wet), especially if you'll be outside for a while. I apply in the mornings, before I walk my dog, and before I drive home. Using a sunscreen stick, like Shiseido's, goes over makeup well and is great for reapplication, otherwise try a mist or powder with SPF. 


A good hat and UPF clothing will go a long way too when out and about. I like to think of my sunscreen as my second protective barrier, especially since UV rays can reflect off of other surfaces. I hope these mini sunscreen reviews help you find your holy grail product!
--
Eager for more? Never miss out on future posts by following me!

Post a Comment

0 Comments