How to build a travel capsule wardrobe

Curating a travel capsule wardrobe is one of the key tactics to traveling with only a carry-on, since all of your pieces can be mixed and matched to work together. 

Here's a breakdown of the clothing qualities and pieces I look for in my travel outfits.

 Clothing qualities 

 Quick-dry material 

 Having clothing made out of quick-dry material is huge, since this enables you to do laundry during your travels. This means you can do a load of laundry in the washing machine (or sink), hang everything to dry and it'll be ready to wear again the next morning. Technical fabrics are often anti-wrinkle too, which is a must since you're limited to a carry-on.

Since you can do laundry, you don't have to pack as much clothes and can travel lighter! These fabrics typically breathe better too so you don't overheat while out and about.

UV protection 

Let's be real, sunscreen can be a hassle and can feel sticky. Having sun protection built into your clothes simplifies getting ready before heading out on your adventures AND you don't have to remember to reapply. 

Athleta and Aday have great technical pieces that look good while protecting your skin. Look for UPF 30+ (I typically aim for 50) when shopping. Royal Robbins and Eddie Bauer have UPF pieces for men and women.

Neutral colors 

Staple clothing pieces in black, beige, grey, and white are easy to match with each other or different bright colors. Build a base wardrobe with these, and accessorize with pops of color or statement pieces to mix it up but not clash.  

Clothing pieces for a capsule wardrobe

Versatile jacket

A jacket is a must to keep you warm on chilly planes or in the evening. Opt for one that can be dressed up and down for maximum versatility. My favorite travel jacket is Aday's Up in the Air one since its neckline can be zipped completely or draped open for 2 different looks. It also has zippered pockets to keep my items secure as I'm rushing off a plane! 

White button-up shirt

Button-up shirts are easy to style casually or for dressier occasions. They can also be used as a swim cover-up if you're visiting the pool or beach. 

This one pictured from Aday has sun protection built in and is one of my most-worn pieces of clothing; on vacation and day-to-day! It can be worn open, tucked in to pants, or over leggings. Athleta's Urbanite tops are very similar and have similar qualities.

Pleated skirt

Pleated skirts are so versatile since they can be worn sightseeing during the day and transition to the evening with a nice top or jacket. Skirts are a great way to stay breezy and cool during summer travel or to hot destinations. 

The Hayes Pleated Skirt from Athleta is my favorite since it has UPF 50 protection and is quick-dry. It's no longer made, but I've had great luck finding it on Poshmark and Ebay. I love tucking a tank top in during the day, and switching to a dressier blouse when going out to dinner. Black goes with everything, so it's easy to mix and match with other pieces I've packed. 

Pants

My Brooklyn Joggers from Athleta are always included for trips since they're lightweight, quick-dry, have pockets, and can be dressed up or down. They look good with basic tees or fancier tops, but are also a comfortable option to wear on a plane. 

I typically pack one pair of comfortable jeans, but tend to not bring more than that since they're heavy and take up a lot of space in my carry on. It's hard to stay away from this trusted go-to though since they can be paired with any top. 

Leggings are fantastic since they don't take up much space in a suitcase and dry quickly after washing. They also go with a multitude of tops and are great to wear for a busy day of sightseeing with all the walking. Plus, if you're a gym-goer, they are on double-duty for workouts. 

Shoes

I try not to pack more than 2 pairs of shoes since they take up so much space. Including the shoes I wear on my travel day, that means I'd have 3 options to cycle through during my trip.

Comfy sneakers are a necessity for any trips with a lot of walking, no matter the season. White trainers are fashion forward but go with everything, so they're a great addition to your capsule wardrobe. They also give you the flexibility to visit the gym if you're so inclined! 


A pair of sandals in spring and summer are perfect options for mixing it up. I have these Crocs wedge sandals, which look cute but are still comfortable for lots of walking. The neutral colors are easy to match with bright dresses or my staple pieces.

On the other hand, if I'm traveling during the fall or winter I opt for waterproof boots. My pair of Blondo boots have lasted 4 seasons; everyday workwear included!

Lastly, bringing a pair of comfortable flats (or heels) will keep you covered for any dressier occasions. I bring a pair of Rothys since they're comfortable to walk in and can be thrown in the washing machine. 

Between a pair of sneakers, sandals or boots, and flats or heels, you'll be prepared for a variety of outfit situations while packing light! 

Day bag / purse

Arden Cove's anti-theft crossbody purse is my go-to for travel since it's waterproof (including the zipper!), anti-slash, and has locking zippers. However, the biggest selling point for me is that it looks like any other fashionable camera bag (there are plenty of anti-theft bags that make you look like a tourist- not for me, thanks). I have it in 3 colors and they haven't failed me, from Europe to Asia. 

I typically choose crossbody purses over backpacks since they're more difficult to be pickpocketed from or stolen. I love being hands-free while shopping and sightseeing, too. A neutral color like black, tan or cream will go with any capsule wardrobe outfit. 

Left: Kosan Travel Dress, Right: Aday Back to Front Dress

Dresses

If luggage space allows, I like packing a dress since it's an easy outfit choice (I don't have to pick out a top and bottom)! I love optional belted dresses since they're 2 looks in 1 (fitted or loose/sleeves long or rolled up) and can look so elegant with accessories or thrown on for sightseeing. 

Base items

  • Sunglasses - I've forgotten mine SO many times and regretted it, since my options were to shell out $$$ at a store or be blinded by the sun. I highly recommend getting a cheap, backup pair to keep in your travel bag so you at least have some eye protection. 
  • Tank tops / basic tees - These are easy to pair with any of your staple bottoms, be it skirt or pants. A jacket can be worn to mix the look up as well. 
  • Underwear & socks - this is an obvious one! I pack one extra pair of each in case I get stuck in a city/travel doesn't go as planned.
  • Pajamas - sleeping comfortably is a must when you're running around a new city! Personally, I just pack an extra tee shirt and gym shorts. This way, I have a cleanish tee in case I get stranded anywhere for an extra day, and shorts for if I need to run down to the hotel lobby or visit the gym for a workout. 

Make it yours

As you travel with your capsule wardrobe, you'll figure out what works for you and what doesn't. That's part of the fun - customizing each unique piece to match your travel and personal style. Happy shopping! 

--

Enjoyed this read? Get notified the next time I post.


Post a Comment

0 Comments