How to choose the best suitcase & personal item

So, you don't want to deal with a checked bag. 

Let's start with choosing the basics: a carry-on suitcase (to go in the overhead bin) and personal item (to go under the seat in front of you).

A carry-on from personal experience

Personally, I use The Bigger Carry On from Away. They figured out that airport bag sizers are slightly bigger than the dimensions listed by domestic carriers, and built a bag to these specs.

The result? A visually aesthetic bag that has allowed me to pack up to 2-weeks worth of clothes for a trip. Mine has a pocket on the front, so I can easily throw in last-minute items. I also love the power bank, because my phone is where I keep boarding passes, travel plans, and confirmation docs. The last thing I want is a dead phone - while traveling or exploring a new city (thx google maps).

This bag has been with me all over the world, thru rain and shine. I can't say enough nice things about it, and there are plenty of other reviews that will go into detail about how great it is. It is hard-sided to protect my items inside, but has a good amount of flex so I can stuff it with extra souvenirs I picked up. I have filled this bag to the brim - as in I had to sit on it to get it closed - but have yet to experience any issues (no busted zippers!) The compression pad also lets me squeeze in extra outfits.

As a side note - Away's warranty isn't just talk. On a recent trip to Japan, my husband broke his bag's compression pad. Away customer service replaced it after I snapped a few photos of the damage. 

Picking the best carry-on suitcase

I get it - $300 is a lot to drop on a bag. Luckily, Away isn't the only maker of luggage. Alternative recommendations are Muji and Quince's carry on bags. They are also hard-shell products, and Quince's bag has a compression pad build in too.

If having a bag shipped just isn't in the cards, local department stores, TJ Maxx, and Ross often have a good selection. Before my Away bag, I used a trusty Samsonite. Here are some qualities to look for in the best carry-on.

  • 4 wheels for ease of movement
  • Size - try to get as close to (but not exceed) 22.7” x 14.7” x 9.6”
  • Durability (what's the outer shell made of? Polycarbonate is what most popular luggage companies use. If considering a soft-sided bag, is the fabric going to tear easily?)
  • Expandability for the extra souvenirs (but make sure it will still fit in an overhead compartment!)
  • Quality zippers & a TSA lock

Maximize your personal item!

At minimum, airlines nowadays include a personal item in your ticket (even if you have to purchase the carry-on allowance separately). My tip here is to maximize this item! If it fits under the seat, it's fair game, and you can fit a pretty big bag under there (aka: more room for shopping or adding variation to your wardrobe!)

I throw my purse in here, along with my laptop and travel docs (+anything else I'll need mid-flight in its own bag). In turn, I have space to pack extra stuff and things on the way home.

So what bag do I use?

On all of my vacations, I have used an expandable tote from Rume. Much to my dismay, I learned it has been discontinued. A similar bag I've found is this one from Beis, but it doesn't have the expandable feature my Rume does. I love the shoe compartment on the bottom for more space division, and the trolley sleeve prevents the bag from falling off.

Choosing a functional personal item

  • Trolley sleeve (to go over your luggage handle)
  • Make sure it's a good size - it should take up a majority of the space under the seat in front of you. This is more space for you to pack in!
  • Expandable (if you can find this feature) - it's convenient to throw unplanned purchases in or a jacket/scarf.
  • Shoulder strap and normal handles
  • Outer zipper pocket (for throwing your phone in while going through security)

The power couple of travel

Between these two pieces of luggage: a strategic carry-on and maximized personal item, you can pack enough clothing and toiletries for any trip; long or short. Maximize space in both, and you won't have to worry about checked baggage fees or losing your stuff altogether! 

--

Enjoyed this read? Never miss out on future posts by following me!

Post a Comment

0 Comments