How to survive long travel days

It recently took me 16 hours to get home from Charleston, SC (it's surprisingly difficult to get from there to Utah), and it emphasized the importance of taking care of your body in transit! I usually only prepare for international trips / when I fly to Tokyo, so this was a good reminder that traveling domestically can take a toll as well. 

Somewhere over Japan on JAL

  1. Get enough sleep: This was my #1 mistake. I was on the east coast last week, visiting 4 different states. All of the travel / early flights meant I slept a maximum of 4 hours per night, and I really felt it on my journey home. Being sleep deprived can lead to jetlag hitting you harder, and your immune system isn't as good (not ideal when you're on a plane with 120+ people). 

  2. Drink lots of water: This one seems like a given, but it's super important to stay hydrated while in transit. I get terrible headaches when dehydrated - not a fun experience while running from gate to gate. Plus, airplanes have lower humidity than most places on the ground, so you will get dehydrated faster. Be sure to pack a reusable water bottle to fill up at airports (so you don't have to overpay for a plastic bottle). 

  3. Keep electrolytes on hand: This is related to point #2 and staying hydrated. I like to pack Nuun tablets or Liquid IV packets to mix into my water. These help your body maintain your fluid levels, and come in handy if you're in a foreign country and aren't familiar with sports drinks or just can't find anything similar.

  4. Have lounge access: Lounges feel heaven-sent on long layovers or if you don't make a standby flight. They provide a quiet, comfortable place to hang out with drinks, food, and a place to charge your phone. It's still airport food, but you can eat as much as you want and it honestly looks better than the (sad) wraps available for purchase outside. Personally, I opt for the veggies, salad, and protein for nutrition & to stay feeling good. Some airports have nap rooms available and are included in Priority Pass! 

  5. Pack snacks: Sometimes, you may end up in an airport that doesn't have a lounge or the line is too long. Be sure to keep shelf-stable snacks on hand so you don't end up scarfing down empty calories that will leave you bloated (as much as I love Delta's Biscoff cookies, the nutrition content just isn't there). Pre-made food at the airport often doesn't look appetizing, and is often overpriced. I like to travel with backup KIND Bars and protein bars (e.g. RX Bars) to get me through lacking food situations.

Traveling is so, so exciting but remember to take care of yourself getting to/from your destination! 

Post a Comment

0 Comments