Visiting TeamLab Planets Tokyo

TeamLab Planets Tokyo is one of the most popular (and instagrammable) attractions. Here is my experience from ordering tickets to attending the art installation. 

TeamLab Planets entrance

Reserving Tickets

Ticket reservations are made online, and typically open 2-3 months ahead. Once reservations are open, I highly recommend reserving as soon as you know what date/time you want to go since tickets can sell out pretty quick. Once purchased, tickets will be emailed to you. 

We reserved tickets right at the opening time, which was nice since there were no people already inside and it was less crowded.

TeamLab Planets reservation screen


Location

TeamLab Planets is kind of removed from the other popular Tokyo sights. However, it's right across the street from Shin-Toyosu Station, so very easy to find if you get off at the right stop! 

For this trip, we were staying near Shimbashi station, which was a 28 minute ride by train to TeamLab Planets. However, we opted to take a taxi since the ride was only 10 minutes by car!


Entry

To queue to go in, we had to show our tickets with our entry time (I just showed my group's on my phone. Be sure to have data on your mobile device or take screenshots of your tickets ahead of time). We lined up around 15 minutes early, and they let us in at 0900. Once inside, there were lockers for us to place our belongings and shoes in. I just took my phone in with me. 

If you arrive early, there are drink vending machines and a vegan ramen spot outside (which we didn't try). 

Experience

For the first art piece, you walk through (sanitizer) water since you're bare-foot throughout the TeamLab Planets experience. In one of the first rooms, you walk on circular cushions, so be aware if you have mobility concerns. 

Important note: I wouldn't wear a super short skirt since some of the floor is mirrored. I'd go for shorts or looser pants (that you can roll up) since you walk through knee-height water later in the experience.  

photo from TeamLabs site

You can keep walking through each room at your own pace. The highlights are definitely the "Crystal Universe" and the "Floating Flower Garden" (this is also where you'll see the most people taking photos). Below is where you wade through knee-ish height water. The fish and flower projections react when you walk into them, so no experience is ever the same.

"Drawing on the Water Surface by Dance of the Koi"


There's also an outdoor "Acorn Forest" you can walk through, which TeamLabs provides you with slippers for.

I really liked the room with flower projections (you were encouraged to lie down and experience it), but I couldn't stay too long because I started to feel motion sick :(


Our group of 4 made it through in about an hour and a half, and it was a fun way to start the day since we headed back into the city for lunch and shopping.

All in all, TeamLab Planets Tokyo was a very fun sensory experience. I always missed out on TeamLabs Borderless (it kept closing for construction/maintenance) in my past Japan trips, so I'm glad I was able to attend Planets this time around. 
--

Enjoyed this read?  Follow me for more!

teamlab review, teamlab planets review, teamlab planets tokyo review, how to teamlab, how to teamlab planets, teamlab japan

Post a Comment

0 Comments